Tuesday, September 13, 2005

there."
So Eugene went into his pocket again, and he was pulling out bits of string. You’d be surprised at what he kept in his waistcoat pockets. And all of a sudden he found it. Put the key in. He didn’t even turn it. Pressed the button. It wasn’t even locked. So that’s where we found the photographs.
I pointed to another bag and said, What’s in there?"
He said, "Aw that’s my musical scores."
"Do you mind if I open it?
There was other stuff among his musical scores all taped together.
Well I’m standing behind him and he’d on a blue shirt. The collar of the shirt turned from pale blue to dark with the perspiration running down out of his hair. He knew he was gone. For in the past he’d never had to show his goods at all. Just say Sir Eugene Goossens and that would be right. He said that to me.
Did he say what these would be used for?
Private collection.
There have been suggestions made to me that Roie got him to bring the stuff in.
No I don't think that he and she had been in touch while he’d been away. If she had been in touch, I imagine that she had been knocked off. When she was arrested before he went away he destroyed all his photographs and this was him replenishing them-incense, masks-all the things that were used in the coven.
There was a handwritten book found in his pocket on S.M. sex magic. Did you sight it?
No... I didn’t see no book. But there was a letter that Goossens wrote to Roie... from Melbourne, I think...Dear Rowitch... some of the times he would address her as Ro, Roie, or Rowitch...Dear Rowitch, I was quite excited in my bedroom when the blinds-curtains rattled and I looked up and your ethereal being was coming through the windows...any way he got excited about it... can’t think of the exact words. Any rate, he got so excited he knocked over the candle and set fire to the curtains. I made inquires from the hotel, and the curtains had caught on fire.
How did you start up of a morning when you fronted up for work?
First thing I’d would be look at the current sheets in the crime book, then write my diary up. From then on what crime had happened overnight, anything I had to look into. Then I’d wander around the district Vice squad wise where there could have been homosexuals, that sort of thing.
How did that come to your attention? Did people make complaints?
Well I knew that the fountain there in Hyde Park...
The Archibald?
Yeah, the Archibald. I knew that if you put your foot on the surround and leant on your knee and look at the naked one...if you get the right gloss it looks like he’s havin’ a pee. If you stand there and look at that, a bloke would sidle up beside you and he drops acid on you.
And you asks him if he’s goin’ and he says"La, la."
And you say, "Well we’d better go for a walk."
And he says, "Oh good."
And me mate, who’s standing there watching, comes over and says,"What you got there, sergeant?" And that was the beginning and end of that.
Poor loves.
Yeah well. It was against the law. Even although society today accepts it, It’s still an offence if you do some of these things in public.
Well public or private... so far society hasn’t collapsed.
It’s still an offence to do some of these things in public. Society now accepts that if it happens in private it’s no business of anybody else. I don’t subscribe to that even now. As a decent law abiding Christian...I’m not a bible basher... but I believe in right and wrong. I think I know the difference between right and wrong. That’s the way I was brought up.
And these activities were wrong?
To me, these activities were morally...ehh.
Repugnant?
Morally repugnant, yeah. And I think generally to the majority of people... that jury I mentioned... didn’t know these things were going on. As a vice squad officer I knew these things were going on. And that was my duty...
To stamp these things out?
Yeah...There’s a different approach to morality today than there was was thirty or forty years ago and that’s where I’m coming from. I was carrying out a duty... a desire... to stamp this sort of conduct out. 31.

*
Nat Craig went through Sir Eugene Goossens’ luggage and found 1,100 items secreted among musical scores of Brahms and Beethoven which, according to their obscene nature, were deemed to be prohibited imports. The search took 45 minutes.
When it was over, Sir Eugene emerged from the Doctor’s office."I’m sorry I couldn’t see you earlier," he told waiting reporters. " I was taken dizzy with air sickness and have been lying down inside."
The Knight of the Realm was taken on a 20-minute drive to C.IB. headquarters by detectives Trevener and Kirkpatrick. There, after questioning, he signed a statement. The only excuse he could give in defence was that his valet, Billings must have placed the items there, before he left London.
It was 3 P.M. when Sir Eugene left the C.I.B. before a popping of flash bulbs.
Velour hat still at rakish angle, coat still draped over shoulders, he made his way through the thronged reporters.
"I must go home now," He said. "They’ll be waiting for me."
"Taxi, Sir Eugene?"
"No.No. I’m enjoying my little walk".
Made his way to the station.
"Daily Mirror, Sir Eugene. Do you have any plans to carry out your schedule of concerts?"
"Of course. Of course. There is no charge against me".
Caught a train to Wahroongah, where more reporters were waiting.
" What could I possibly be charged with?"
Strolled from the station to 28 Burns road.
Eugene’s daughter opened the door, frowned at the pack of reporters clamouring behind her father. "It’s alright, dear," he said. "The whole thing’s a complete misunderstanding."
He turned to the press. "Please, gentlemen, please. A statement will be forthcoming." And closed the door. 32.

*
On March 13 two customs officers served a personal summons under section 233-(1) (D) of the Customs Act 1901 on Sir Eugene Goossens, returnable at 10.A.M Martin Place Court of Petty Sessions the next morning. Holed up at Burns road with its tennis court and the mural, he had himself painted, depicting mediterrania on the reception room wall, he took advice from his solicitor, Mervyn Finley and his brother, A.N. (Huck) Finlay Assistant to Sir Charles Moses, General Manager of the Australian Broadcasting Commission.
Mervyn Finlay requested the court for an adjournment to allow Sir Eugene time to prepare his case with senior counsel, Jack Shand Q.C. who said,
My client has naturally been distressed by these proceedings and is anxious that they be heard as soon as possible.
After consulting with Huck Finlay, Sir Eugene issued a press statement,
Owing to ill health I have requested to be relieved temporarily of my duties with the State Conservatorium of Music and as conductor of the Sydney Symphony Orchestra. The New South Wales government, the Council of the City of Sydney and the Australian Broadcasting Commission have agreed to release me as requested. 34.
Huck wrote Sir Charles,
It has been a tough few days. This morning Gene signed attached statement which has been approved by Heffron (Minister of Education) and Wirth (Chairman of Public Service Board) I feel it is the only possible course for him to have taken. And on our behalf we are protected. 34.


*Note.

No comments: