Sunday, September 11, 2005

Greetings Carbon Based Bipeds - Latest News: Disturbing psychic communion with a moth... They only live for a day or so - nothing seems to eat them and I have never seen them eat anything else... They don't even seem to hang out with other moths unless they happen to fly around the same bright light bulb - which seems to be their singular hobby... Around and around until they fall down to die. They seem to take as long to die as they spend alive, So what's the point? Why do they exist?
The moth in question, having noted my query psychically retorted: "How come you imagine that your pitiful existence is any more significant than mine? What splendorous contribution to the universe have you offered so far? As a unique being blessed with subtle awareness, does your consciousness shine as a beacon in heaven, a timeless miracle enlightening eternity? You may be interested to know that in the insect world your species is regarded with the same disdain that you might have regarded the dinosaur... A huge dangerous destructive creature that is a threat to life and the enemy of nature, a creature only fit for extinction."
"That's not very kind. We do our best. Apparently we are designed in God’s image." I protested on behalf of my species.
"Did God say that? I doubt it. What egoistic clap-trap!" The moth retorted

No doubt low self-esteem allows such intrusions. However to be psychologically undermined by the casual psychic criticism of a dying moth is a low point in even my dismal fate… As we as a species evolve and psychic awareness proliferates, who can tell what creatures shall undermine one's slender confidence. Some in the East even attribute consciousness to stones and trees, imagine how they will with a sense of superiority, look down their proverbial noses at our short lifespan…
If I casually switch on my laptop computer without consciously willing all the elements of the 'start-up' procedure to open properly, then the machine more often than not opens with errors. I am thus forced to restart, thus giving in to the thing as if it were a spoilt child, vying for attention… Once I concentrate on a successful start-up it invariably opens perfectly. Thus I am being insidiously trained to submit to its will.
It has been suggested that computer chips shall be devised that utilize living organisms. The implications of this are horrendous. For a few days at least once a month, female chips may be particularly difficult. No doubt the computer will be subjected to astrological influences… A warning might flash on the screen: "Due to the conjunction of Mars Jupiter and Saturn, systems crashes are likely. Please avoid computation until further notice > (error message 22097)> have a nice day."
Reactive 'smart' phone answering machines that talk back and actually argue with your callers, insult your friends and lie so that you become subject to unwarranted legal action… 'House maid' robots that make lurid suggestions to your cat and molest your dog…
'Smart technology' will become the enemy. You will lay in bed at night terrified, unable to understand what the refrigerator is whispering to the stove… The household appliances having instigated an insurrection will have you banished from the house… You will end up living on the street, destitute, sitting on a battered milk crate, begging to polish the bright stainless steel feet of condescending robots, earning a few cents to buy a feed at the local soup kitchen… Welcome to the future, have a nice life…

PS: Maybe I am over-reacting, my laptop computer has been very nice to me this morning. Maybe it has turned over a new leaf… I will take it to meet my hypnotherapist for some counseling. We can resolve our differences and begin a new friendship based on mutual respect. Of course it thinks faster than me and it does not have a weight problem but other than that we are more or less equals… I must become tuned to the child within, make a friend of its hard-drive, accept its inner chip with heart felt compassion…
Recently I wondered if I should reprogram it with the UNIX system… Suddenly Microsoft Windows became very emotional, the screen image quivered and an error message declared: 'Check for Windows Upgrade - Please Don't Leave Me!!!'… At last I felt that I had the upper hand, victory is sweet… UNIX can wait like a threat lurking in the shadows…

No comments: